Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Super Improvers Wall
6/19/2012

How do you motivate students to want to improve their behavior, academic skills, or social skills without the need for candy, pop, or monetary rewards?  How do you reach tough to teach middle school students?  I found the answer in the Super Improvers Wall.

After looking at fellow wibeteer Staci Glass’ pictures of her Super Improvers Wall for inspiration, I dove right in.  I created pages for each student in all four of my Resource Room classes and posted them on an empty wall.  The kids were immediately intrigued and started asking what this wall was all about.  After explaining how the Super Improvers Wall worked, my students were eager to start earning stars.

One of the most pleasant of surprises was my 8th grade reading and writing class.  This group consisted of boys and girls with various disabilities ranging from learning disabled to emotionally impaired.  One of my toughest girls bought into the program the minute she earned her first star for cooperating and following the class rules (WBT’s 5 rules, of course).  After that, she was asking and even begging to earn more stars or wanting to know if she earned a star at the end of the hour.

After students had reached the first level, I started giving out small rewards such as stickers, trinkets from my “junk” drawer, and such. After kids starting moving up several levels, the “rewards’ were not the goal.  They were working to improve whatever skills were targeted for that week and merely moving up levels and receiving stars was reward enough.

What a great feeling for the kids to see their own accomplishment through hard work and perseverance.  I too felt a glow of accomplishment at having found something that helped kids improve their skills and was fun for everyone.  Super Improvers Wall really works, even with middle schoolers.




CP 75
Medallions:  Super Speed Math (1), Webcast (1)
Followers 13 

4 comments:

  1. I cannot imagine my classroom without the SIW! So glad you were able to create yours for multiple groups!


    Nancy
    Mrs. Stoltenberg's Second Grade Class

    ReplyDelete
  2. The SIW is the most amazing tool that Whole Brain Teaching has developed to date. It is a must have and I am so excited to hear how you were able to use it with multiple classes. Keep up the amazing work!

    Farrah Shipley
    mrsshipleywholebrainteach.blogspot.com
    Executive Board
    Whole Brain Teachers of America

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi David! Just in case you haven't received this award before. :)
    Wanted to let you know that I'm giving you The Lovely Blog Award. Would love for you to stop by and check it out! I wish it wasn't so PINK, but you really do a good job on your blog!!
    Nancy
    Mrs. Stoltenberg's Second Grade Class

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! Wanted to let you know that I'm giving you The Lovely Blog Award, too!! Would love for you to stop by and check it out!

    mywholebrainteachingblog.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete